Monday, October 15, 2012

delivering a baby.

I gotta say... one of the things that drives me the most crazy about being pregnant is when people ask me the simple question, "So who is you doctor?"

I know, I know. The question is simple enough but I've got to tell you, my response always brings raised eyebrows and a bit of judgment.

Example...

Random Woman: "So who is your doctor?"
Me: "Well, I am choosing not to use a doctor and am using a midwife instead."
Random Woman: "A midwife?"
Me: "Well, yes. I would like to deliver naturally without an epidural and a midwife was the best fit for me."
Random Woman: "Wait. You want to have the baby without an epidural?! Good luck with that."

Of course, the conversation can vary a bit but for the most part, it always has the same outcome. And bottom line... it really drives me nuts.

Before I go off on this tangent, let me start by saying that I am not delivering naturally to show how tough I am or be able to put myself on a pedestal above other mothers' who delivered differently. It was a decision I thought long and hard about, weighing the pros and cons, and figuring out which way I knew I would want my birthing experience to be. Please, please keep this in mind.

But I've got to say.... I really think a lot of people have a misconception about midwives. You imagine them to be all granola and hippy and "let mother earth heal your pain, my child" but the reality is, they're not. Not to worry... Brandon had this misconception as well. When I first told him that I'd like to interview a midwife for the delivery, he freaked out telling me that he just didn't want to have the baby in our living room while our family sat around chanting spiritual encouragements.

Umm... what??

Truth of the matter is, though, that my midwife is very professional, very educated, and I'm certain that if you met her in the hospital setting that I meet her in regularly, you'd never assume that she was a midwife. You'd most likely assume that she was an OBGYN. Except you would notice that she took more time with you. And was more on your level. And was very encouraging for even the most frightened mothers-to-be (like myself). And yes, I will be delivering in a hospital.

I feel comfortable and confident around her. She makes me feel at ease with the changes that are going on with my body. She's been in my shoes. And she's funny. Like thank-God-I'm-not-the-only-one-who-thinks-half-of-these-pregnancy-rules-are-crock funny. But most of all, I like her. And I know that she truly wants me to succeed in my chosen method of delivery. So why wouldn't I want her to be the one to deliver my baby? After meeting her, even Brandon can't help but say that he's glad we chose to go this route.

And as far as the epidural is concerned, it's a decision I made the moment I found out I was pregnant. Pregnancy is a beautiful thing. Truly. And I feel so unbelievably blessed that I get to experience it. I know that there are millions of women out there who have a hard time conceiving and it almost doesn't seem fair that Brandon and I got pregnant without even trying. So I don't want to take a moment of any of this for granted. And I just don't believe that giving birth is something to be numbed... like a headache. Or a broken leg. It's a miracle and it's meant to be experienced. Yes, I know it'll be painful. I am fully aware that it just may be one of the most excruciating things I'll ever do. But I hope that through every labor pain I can remember that delivering a baby is a gift from God. And I want to be able to literally feel that gift in every limb of my body, painful or not, because I know that the end result will be worth it.

Now... this is the way I choose to give birth. I am by no means saying this is the "right way" because frankly, there is no "right way". Choosing your method of delivery is like buying a camera. If you and I were to go into Best Buy right now to buy a camera, chances are we'd choose different cameras because we were both looking for a camera that best suited us and the way that we intended to use it. Every woman is different, so why do we seem so surprised and discouraging when a woman chooses a different method of delivery than the one we intended to use?

Food for thought.

Rant over.

1 comment:

  1. You go girl!! I loved reading this entry. You are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete